Thursday, November 21, 2013

Project C.A.R.E.

Happy Thursday Steel fans!! We hope you are having a great week. During the hockey season our players visit W.A. Johnson Elementary School, Tioga Elementary School, and Blackhawk Middle School to help out with a program called Project C.A.R.E. Plus. This program is an academic mentoring program where volunteers work in the schools each week, assisting groups of students in their learning process. Last year along over 300 volunteers gave more than 6,000 hours of their time to the children. 

The Chicago Steel players have been working with Project C.A.R.E. for three years now. Each year our players spend one day a week, either Tuesday or Wednesday, at one of the local schools helping students learn. At the beginning of the year, we ask the players where they would like to help out. Most people would think that gym would be the first place on their list, however, this year's group all decided that they wanted to help out in a classroom. 

Yesterday we tagged along with our Wednesday Project C.A.R.E. group, which included: Liam McGing, Jake Bunz, Victor Bjorkung, Connor Yau, Alec Vanko, Chris Nell, and John Schilling, to get some pictures and insight into a normal day at Project C.A.R.E. We were able to observe the boys in gym class, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 3rd grade, and 8th grade. Check out some pictures below and thoughts from the boys about Project C.A.R.E.









 "I like going to Project CARE because it give you a chance to connect with the local community. My favorite part is seeing the smiles on the kids' faces when you come to help."
















"I like seeing the kid's reaction when I come in to help. My favorite part is when the kids know the answer right away and are jumping out of their seat to answer."






















"I enjoy going to Project CARE because the kids faces light up when I show up. I also like seeing the kids improve on their addition and subtraction facts every week."




















"I enjoy going to Project CARE to see the kids smiling faces every morning because they are ready to have fun and learn. My favorite part is being able to spend time with the kids and build relationships."


















"Project CARE gives me a chance to give back and shed some knowledge to kids. My favorite part is teaching the kids new information."

















"I enjoy teaching kids to read and helping them with necessary life skills. I favorite part is connecting with the kids and helping them learn."























"I like to see all the kids get all excited. My favorite part is spending time with the kindergarten kids."








Project C.A.R.E. is a great way to give back to the community. The players have loved the opportunity to work with the students and watch them grow. If you would like to donate your time or learn more about Project C.A.R.E. please click here

Have a great day Steel fans and we look forward to hopefully seeing you this weekend!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment