Tuesday, January 20, 2015

All Access: Marcel Godbout

Photo By: MJB Images
Prior to the end of 2014, Marcel Godbout was acquired from the Waterloo Black Hawks by the Chicago Steel. The Center Line, MI native has surpassed his 21-game points total with Waterloo in his first month with Chicago. Godbout played for Shattuck St. Mary's and then suited up for the Des Moines Buccaneers during the 2013-2014 season as well as the USA Juniors in the 2013 World Junior A Challenge. We had the opportunity to sit down with the recent roster addition to talk about his hockey career and his transition to the Steel.

Q: You’re a veteran player in the USHL. In your first USHL season, you played with Des Moines, and this season the Steel acquired you from Waterloo. Can you talk about those three different teams and how you’ve adjusted to the move?

A: Last year I started off in Des Moines. I loved it there – it’s a great organization and I have a lot of good friends there that I still talk to. And then I got moved to Waterloo at the beginning of this year; it’s another great organization with a lot of history. Both teams are in Iowa, and moving here to Chicago is a lot different from there. It’s a bigger city with a lot more to do. I like it here a lot. We have a really great team, and I’m excited for the second half of the season. Moving mid-season hasn’t been too big of an adjustment. I moved away from home when I was 14 and have been on my own since, so I am kind of used to it. Everyone here is very welcoming, so that makes it a lot easier.

Photo By: MJB Images
Q: You have been a big contributor with six points in 10 games played with the Steel. Can you talk about your play and the factors that have helped you to be successful?

A: I think it’s getting the opportunity to showcase what I have. Coach has given me an opportunity to play in key spots. On the power play I’ve gotten a few points. Bounces are going my way, I’m playing with great players and I’m getting set up in different positions.

Q: How has the USHL helped in your development as a player?

A: The USHL is a great league. You play against different aged guys, so you either have to step up, or you won’t play too much. I was 17 last year playing against 20 and 21 year olds. That’s not something that every other kid gets to do. I think it’s really good. Obviously, I’ve had three different coaches, so I’ve learned different things from each and every one of them. I think it’s a great opportunity for me to be here.

Photo By: MJB Images
Q: You’re committed to Michigan State. Tell us about what led you to the decision and about what you’re looking forward to?

A: It’s a great school and close to home. Obviously for my family that’s a lot better since I’ve been away for the past five years. I’m excited to be able to play there. It’s a great honor.

Q: You played in the 2013 World Junior A Challenge, and recorded one assist in four games. Can you talk about that experience and how it was playing at that level?

A: That was a great tournament, and we were lucky enough to win it. Just watching those guys, some of the guys who are in there, you have [Nick] Schmaltz and Kyle Connor, who was there again this year. There were a lot of great players on the team, and just to watch it and be a part of it was really, really cool. And obviously to win gold was nice too.

Photo By: MJB Images
Q: What do you enjoy about playing with the Steel?

A: Our team is the closest team that I’ve ever been on, even with me only being here for a month so far. You can tell that all the guys genuinely care about each other. We all want to be here for each other, and we want to win. It’s good to be a part of.

Q: Do you have any routines or rituals that you go through prior to games?

A: I am kind of superstitious with the way I get dressed. I always put my left side on first, but I’ll tie my right skate first. I normally eat at the same time, show up to the rink at the same time, tape my sticks the same way. Other than that, not much though.

Q: This weekend the Steel are in Iowa to face the Waterloo Black Hawks on Friday night and then home at the Edge against the Dubuque Fighting Saints on Saturday. What is the team expecting from these two match-ups?

A: Last weekend was good. We got three of the four points – wish we could have got the fourth one. But we’re really excited for Friday, going to Waterloo. Because I used to play there, it’s going to be a little bit weird going back, but it will be nice to play against them. I think the boys are ready. Hopefully we’ll play well, get two points there, and then come home. You can’t ask for anything better than that – Mascot Night against Dubuque. It should be a good game.

Photo By: MJB Images

1 comment: