Thursday, October 30, 2014

All Access: Nate Kwiecinski

Photo by: USHL
In his second season with the Chicago Steel, defenseman Nate Kwiecinski is adjusting to life as a veteran player in the USHL. Originally from Michigan, Kwiecinski joined the Steel in 2013 as an undrafted player and appeared in 40 games last season, tallying one goal and four assists. Now seen as one of the team leaders, Kwiecinski touched on how he is trying to help the new guys acclimate to the Steel and the USHL, just as the veterans helped him last year. He believes the welcoming atmosphere has helped his development and hopes the new players can benefit just as he has. Looking ahead, Kwiecinski is excited for this season and believes the Steel has what it takes to compete with the best in the league.


Q: Can you talk a little bit about this season, any goals you may have and how you feel you have performed so far this year?

A: Yeah, we finished strong last season. Coming into this year, we have a lot of great new players and we feel that we are a great team. We’re fast, strong and we need to keep playing the way we need to play every game. We have to stick to the process and play the right way. My main goal for this season is to just get better every day. Every day is a new day so I am just trying to do my best to improve and go from there.

Q: What do you enjoy most about playing for the Steel?

A: Definitely the atmosphere. All our guys and coaching staff are very welcoming and it makes you want to come to the rink every day. I have really enjoyed my time here because of that.

Q: Does the team do anything to bond and help welcome in new players?

A: Usually before practice we play “trash ball,” it’s a type of soccer game. Some of the guys play miniature golf in the locker room to relax and get ready for practice.

Q: Do you have any pregame rituals or routines that help you get focused for games?

Photo by: MJB Images
A: I don’t try to get too serious, just kind of do my own thing. I stretch, listen to my music, which consists of a mix of upbeat songs, and then I have a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich before every game.

Q: What is your favorite memory as a hockey player, either growing up or with the Steel?

A: My favorite hockey memory was probably in my Pee Wee year (Ages 11-12). I played for Little Caesars in Michigan and we went to Quebec for two weeks. We stayed with a French billet family there and got to play in front of thousands of people so that was really cool.

Q: Do you know any French?

A: “Merci” [thank you] and the only other word I remember is apple juice, “jus de pomme,” because apparently I drank that a lot. Quebec was also where I was introduced to Nutella, and since then I’ve been addicted to it.

Q: Now in your second season with the Steel, has anything been different so far and have you done anything to help the new guys now that you are a veteran?

A: Well now that I am in my second year, I’m not getting my feet wet anymore, and I know what the league is like. I’ve been more comfortable with the puck and I can make better plays. I’ve tried to lead by example with the new guys. The vets really took care of me last year and showed me how to do things the right way. We’re all on the same team, so we are just trying to show them the ropes and lead by example.

Q: Do you have any passions outside of hockey?

A: I enjoy playing golf in the summer, and going to concerts. I like to be around my family and spend time with friends as well. My family is actually coming in this weekend. They try to come at least once a month, so I’ll get to spend some time with them this weekend.

Q: Can you talk about the three games this weekend and how you guys have been preparing in practice for all three opponents?

A: This weekend, again, we just have to focus on playing our game. When we get away from our game, nothing good happens. We have to stick to the process, and play as a team. We have to play hard, give an honest effort and we should have no problem competing.

Photo by: MJB Images

No comments:

Post a Comment