Thursday, November 13, 2014

All Access: Mason Bergh

Photo By: USHL
Steel forward Mason Bergh has taken the USHL by storm this year, scoring seven goals and tallying 16 assists through the first quarter of the season. Hailing from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Bergh joined the Steel in 2013 as a first round draft pick in the USHL Futures Draft. Last season, Bergh tallied 25 total points for the Steel - a number that he could easily eclipse this weekend in Omaha. Although he currently leads the league in both points (23) and assists (16), Bergh insists the only thing he cares about are his teammates, his coaches, and helping the Steel make the playoffs for the first time in seven seasons.


Q: You have started very strong this season and currently lead the league with 23 points. Can you talk a little bit about your play and how you’ve been able to be successful so far this season?

A: Yeah, I’ve been put in a lot of different places that have allowed me to succeed. I’ve obviously been playing with a lot of good players, and I couldn’t do anything without them. So just being able to play all aspects of the game and being able to play with those guys has helped me a lot. So hopefully we can keep going and win some more games. 

Q: Now that you’re in your second year, has anything felt different this season?

A: I don’t think so. We have a strong leadership group and we’re all one. There’s no new guy versus veteran deal, so we are all on the same page and work as a team. It’s been a lot of fun so far. 

Q: As a team, the Steel have won four of five games after a bit of a slow start. Have you noticed a change in anything, or has Coach told you guys anything?

Photo By: MJB Images
A: We definitely didn’t want to start the way we did last year, going 0-10. We just sat around and looked at each other and decided that if we were going to win we had to play as a team and everyone had to buy-in. I think as of late everyone has been on the same page, and it has obviously showed with the wins that we have had. If we keep playing our game and stick to the process, I think we will be fine. 

Q: At the start of the season, did you have any goals that you were hoping to accomplish?

A: I didn’t really have any individual goals but I think we were all hoping for the Steel to make the playoffs and have a good run. I think we just need to keep playing as a team and get some more wins.

Q: What do you like most about playing for the Chicago Steel? 

A: I think the best thing about playing here is having fun and wanting to come to the rink every day. I know some other kids in different scenarios don’t necessarily enjoy it, but everyone here loves coming in every day. Everyone wants to work hard for each other and for our coaching staff, so it’s been a lot of fun playing for the Steel.

Q: Do you think the Steel have helped in your development and preparing you for your future?

Photo By: MJB Images
A: Oh, yeah. At the start of last year, I don’t think I was where I wanted to be. But being here has helped me mature as a person and as a hockey player. I think playing for the Steel has been the best thing for my hockey career.

Q: Can you talk about your college decision and what ultimately led you to choosing Colorado College this past March?

A: Towards the end of last year, I had been talking to some other schools. But when I went out on my visit, I fell in love with the area. CC has always been a school that I’ve really liked watching because I’ve known a couple players that went through there. And when I went out there, it solidified my decision. But for right now, I’m just focused on the Steel.

Q: Lastly, how do you feel heading into this weekend and moving forward through the rest of the season?

A: It’s obviously a big game for us since we only have one game this weekend. We need to put it all on the line. Hopefully we can keep this streak going and keep moving in the right direction. We’ve been playing pretty well lately and we don’t want to take two steps back, so it’s a big two points and hopefully we can get them.

Photo By: MJB Images

No comments:

Post a Comment