Tuesday, December 17, 2013

An Inside Look With Vito Abbinante

Happy Tuesday Steel Fans!! We are back with an inside look at another Steel member. Who you ask? Today we talked with Vito Abbinante, Public Address Announcer. 
Check it out!!!


A true artist, Vito has been the real “Voice of the Steel” for the past 12+ years. In addition to announcing, Vito also runs the game day music, light show, occasionally performs the national anthem, is often spotted as the mascot for off ice appearances, and is a self proclaimed “Technological Genius”. Vito’s favorite show is “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia”, and after a long day of being awesome, he likes to curl up with thought provoking books like “The Stinky Cheese Man”, and “Calvin & Hobbes”.


What is your primary role (what do you do) with the Chicago Steel?
Public address announcer, intermission emcee, music, light show…you name it on game days, I’ll do it.


How did you first get involved with the Steel?
About 11 years ago (man, I’m old) I was an employee of the rink. Kevin Erlenbach, the Communications Director for the Steel at the time, asked if I would be interested in filling in as announcer for a game or two at the end of the season. I worked one game and didn’t think anything of it. A week before following season began I got a phone call asking if I wanted the job permanently, as the former PA Announcer wasn’t returning. The Steel have been stuck with me ever since.


What is your favorite part about working for the Steel?
Who wouldn’t want to watch great hockey, get the crowd riled up, and work with a great staff? It’s a dream job…I just wish it were full time.


What would you say is the hardest part about your job?
Those crazy nights filled with penalties and goals and they all seem to come at the same time. Answering the phone to get the correct calls, getting them written down, announcing, and playing music all at the same time can be challenging. After 11 years, I might almost have it figured out, though. Almost.


What are you looking forward to most this season?
I can’t really pinpoint what I look forward to from season to season…Because I’m not a full time employee, I look forward to game nights in general. It’s a nice break from my regular job, and I get to watch good, young players who are actually playing for something.


What is your typical day like at the Steel for you?
Since, for the most part, I only work game day, I’ll skip to the next question…


What is a typical game day like for you?

I usually get to the rink about an hour or two before the game. I say hi to whoever is hiding in the office, and go directly to the press box. After I set up my radio, phone, the microphone(s), and do a sound check, I set up my paperwork for the game…rosters, score/penalty sheets, game script…I’m pretty particular about having everything where I can find it quickly. Depending on the day, I’ll sing the Star Spangled Banner…I’m not going to get a record deal, but it’s passable. After the game starts, I’ll announce goals, penalties, ads, birthdays, groups, contest winners, and anything else the fans need to know about. Monty,(Director of Business Operations, John Montalbano) is usually in the box with me, so he takes care of the music on most days, but if he’s not there I’ll play some music(for the kids), and run any intermission activities either from the press box or directly on ice. Post game, I shut down the light board and music laptop, put away the microphones, and store everything back in the office. Then I spend about 20 minutes antagonizing the interns and head “home”.


Have a great Tuesday everyone!! Drive safely in the snow today! 





No comments:

Post a Comment