Tuesday, July 29, 2014

All-Access With Robby Jackson

By JASON LOWENTHAL

Today we take a look at reigning United States Hockey League rookie of the year Robby Jackson. Still a 16-year-old until Aug. 22, Jackson is set to begin his second season in Chicago and is excited for the year ahead. We caught up with him as he enjoys the final weeks of his offseason.

Q: What did winning rookie of the year last season mean to you?
           
Jackson: It was a huge honor. I couldn’t have done it without the guys and the coaching staff. Every single one of those guys helped me develop and get that award.

-Jackson became the first member of the Steel to capture the award since Danny Richmond in 2001-02.

Q: How do you build off of that momentum coming into this year?

Jackson: We have so many guys coming back and they’re all great hockey players. Once we got it going last season, we were a force to be reckoned with. We got off to a rough start last year and missed playoffs because of it, but we’re going to use that as motivation.

Q: What was it like coming into an elite hockey league like the USHL and producing right away?
           
Jackson: It was a lot of fun. The USHL is such great hockey and I was fortunate enough to have a good season. My mom actually texted me about the record when she heard, because I didn’t know about it. Hopefully, I can continue to build off that coming into this season. 

-Jackson stepped into a leading role right away last season as he tallied a USHL record 28 goals as a 16-year-old.

Q: During the recruitment process, what attracted you most to St. Cloud State University?
           
Jackson: Everybody always asks me that question and I never have one specific answer. I fell in love with everything, the coaches and the facilities. I’m really excited to continue on and play at the college level.

Q: Next month when you compete for Team USA over in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, that will be your first international experience. What are your feelings about playing for your country?
           
Jackson: I’m not even going to be able to put it into words. To be able to represent my country and put on that USA jersey is incredible. Hopefully we take home gold, but even if we go over there and do nothing, it’s going to be an amazing feeling representing my country, the Steel, and my family.

Q: Being from California and moving to what is a huge hockey market here in Chicago, what is that like for you?

Jackson: It was awesome. I was over the moon getting the chance to come to Chicago. You can actually have a decent hockey conversation here versus in California. It’s great to be in a city where people not only know hockey but love it too.

Q: What was the experience like having to leave home to really realize your true potential?

Jackson: It’s tough. Last season was my second year living away from home because of hockey. I had lived with a teammate back in California, but it was still closer to home. When I came to Chicago last year, I was used to living away from home, but it’s still really hard. It’s something that almost every hockey player has to go through at some point though.

Q: Growing up, who was your biggest hockey influence?

Jackson: My dad was my biggest influence. He coached a lot of the younger teams that I was on. He’s able to keep me in line and has done wonders for me and my hockey career.

Q: This offseason, what have been two of your hockey-related goals?

Jackson: Making the USA team was one of my biggest goals. I really wanted to prove that I could accomplish that. I’ve also been trying to balance resting and staying focused for this season.

Q: What is your outlook for this upcoming season for the Steel?

Jackson: We’ve got a great group of guys coming back. We’re going to be a good team. The potential we have as a team really is scary and I’m just excited to get back out there with the group of guys we have.



No comments:

Post a Comment