Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Q&A With Matt Berkovitz Post Anaheim Ducks Prospect Camp

By JASON LOWENTHAL

Today we take a look at Steel defenseman Matt Berkovitz, a fifth-round selection of the Anaheim Ducks in this past month’s National Hockey League Entry Draft. Berkovitz was one of 35 Ducks prospects that recently attended Anaheim’s six-day development camp. We caught up with him following the camp.

Q: What did it mean to get drafted by an organization such as the Ducks that has been on the rise over the last couple seasons?

Berkovitz: It was a dream come true. Anaheim is such a high-profile team and a great organization.

Q: When did you know that the Ducks were going to take you? Did they say anything to you beforehand?

Berkovitz: I really had no clue. I was sitting there at the draft and it kind of just happened.

Q: Anaheim has an aging defense right now with five guys over 30-years-old. Did anyone in the organization speak to you about what that means for you in the future?

Berkovitz: Obviously I’m a few years down the road, but I’ll be ready to step in when they need me.

Q: As far as prospect camp goes, how do you feel you performed personally?

Berkovitz: I thought I had a pretty good showing. A couple guys told me they liked what they saw.

Q: What can you say about the general talent you saw at prospect camp?

Berkovitz: I saw a lot of strong players there. Anaheim has a good system that they’ve got going and I’m excited for the future.

Q: What have you been working on the most this offseason hockey-wise?

Berkovitz: I’ve really been trying to raise my consistency and intensity lately. I’m also trying to put on a few pounds.

Q: Do you feel your decision to stay at Ashwaubenon High last season instead of coming to the Steel paid off in the end?

Berkovitz: Looking back on it, I’m very happy with my decision. I think it definitely paid off in the end.  Berkovitz tallied 41 goals and 126 points in 132 career high school games.

Q: What did it mean to you to finally get that scholarship offer from Wisconsin knowing that you would get to play hockey for your home state?

Berkovitz: You grow up idolizing these guys and now you get to follow in their footsteps. It’s another dream come true.

Q: What is your outlook for this upcoming season here with the Steel?

Berkovitz: I’m hoping for a nice winning season this year and a good run into the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment