Thursday, January 31, 2013

Three's Company

On Wednesday, Jan. 23, Steel players Alex Sakellaropoulos, Christian Heil, and Thomas Ebbing represented Team East at the 2013 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game. The event, which was held at L.C. Walker Arena in Muskegon, Mich. and showcased the league’s finest talent, was attended by more than 100 NHL scouts.

Sakellaropoulos, Heil and Ebbing recently took some time out of their busy schedules to answer a few questions about their experiences at this year’s prospects game.

Alex Sakellaropoulos #1

You were a late addition to the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.  How did you get focused in such a short period of time for a game that was heavily scouted by NHL personnel?
  • "Well, I had a day or so to get ready and I treated it like a normal game.  You try not to think about all the scouts; I was just trying to play the best I could when I was in net."


You had a great game in net, stopping all nine shots you faced in more than 29 minutes of work.  How were you feeling after your performance?
  • "I felt great. Yes, there were only nine shots, but more than half of those shots were from the slot."


Going up against the best talent in the USHL, was there a noticeable difference in game speed and what did you need to do to adjust to the talent on the ice?
  • "I have been in the league for over a year and a half now, so I was used to the speed.  I just went out on the ice and played my game."


What will you take away from playing in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game?
  • "I’m very fortunate that I was picked to play in the game.  Now I just have to play consistent for the rest of the season and everything will take care of itself." 



 Christian Heil #11

When you were notified that you would be representing Team East in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, what went through your mind?
  • It was just a huge honor, and I was beyond excited to represent the Steel and the USHL Eastern Division in the game.


You assisted on Team East’s only goal of the game.  It had to be pretty special tallying an assist in a game featuring the league’s top players.
  • Just playing in the game was a great experience.  To be able to come out of the contest with a point was very special.


Was there a noticeable difference in game speed during the Top Prospects Game and what did you need to do to adjust to the level of play on the ice?
  • The hardest part was just jumping in and playing with guys I had never played with before.  The speed was fast and it was a lot of fun to be a part of.


What will you take away from playing in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game?
  • It definitely gave me more confidence.  Competing with all the top talent from the league was just a great overall experience and I am grateful I got the opportunity to play.




Thomas Ebbing #10


When you were notified that you would be representing Team East in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, what went through your mind?
  •  I was honored to be selected to play with the top 40 USHL players in their draft years and getting to play in front of so many scouts.



What a difference a year makes.  Last year at this time, you were well on your way to leading Michigan’s Brother Rice High School to a state championship and on Wednesday, you were representing Team East and playing in front of over 100 NHL scouts.  You said it was a difficult decision to forgo your senior season at Brother Rice, but suiting up for the United States at the 2012 World Junior A Challenge and getting selected to the Top Prospects Game are quite the honors.  You have to be happy about making the jump to the USHL?
  •  I was very blessed being selected by Chicago in last year’s USHL Entry Draft, and haven’t looked back once on my decision. Brother Rice helped me develop, but making the jump to the USHL was a step I needed to take. The coaching staff and players have been wonderful here and are a big reason I was selected to the World Junior A Challenge and the Prospect Game. It has been an honor to represent my country and league.



Was there a noticeable difference in game speed during the Top Prospects Game and what did you need to do to adjust to the level of play on the ice?
  •  I wouldn’t say there was a difference in speed because every player in the USHL knows there are scouts every game, so it felt just like another game. The talent was great though. Everyone wanted to showcase their skills so it was a hard fought game, with a lot of speed, physical play, and talent.



What will you take away from playing in the USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game?
  •  I will take away the experience and memories. I was able to play on a team with kids I never have and never will again. Also, the chance to play in front of 100 NHL scouts was very special.







1 comment:

  1. I found your blog very interesting, we are like minded. hockey trade rumor, good luck to your team.

    ReplyDelete